Now that the Texas legislature is in session, the "more money for education" folks are very busy bothering everybody about their issue. I'm getting a few emails a day urging me to come out in support of more money for schools as if anybody gives a flying shit about what I say on the matter. No matter how many times I tell them "no" - they keep emailing me. So here's a public "no" that might get the point across to them.
First of all, if teachers want to make more money - they should find a different job. Nobody goes into teaching having no idea what it pays. When you are kid in school teachers will tell you that the pay isn't great. We are literally taught in school that being a teacher is not a wise choice for those who wish to have lots of money. It cannot be made more clear than it has already been made.
Getting paid more as a teacher means going and begging the government for more money. Depending on where you live and how they construct budgets for education spending, you could be screwed on the whole raise thing for a very long time. If you don't like the fact that you can't get paid based on your performance - find another job in different industry. The system is never going to change because the teachers union protects the shittiest 15 percent of teachers and that means screwing the other 85 percent that are good. It's a fact of public teaching life.
Second, more money is the problem in schools - especially in El Paso. The legislature gave schools more money and guess what EPISD did with it? Gave it to people to provide "services" they never actually provided. The law of OPM (Other People's Money) is a law of nature - OPM will always be abused because there is no steward of the funds who has actual ownership of it. If the legislature needed only one reason not to send more money to schools - the EPISD saga would do the trick. The money is always wasted - many times illegally wasted.
I wish the "more money for schools" people would look at how the world works around them and go from there. Good money chases good performance. Nowhere in the world outside of teaching does the idea of paying people more for bad work = better work. It just doesn't work that way. The Dallas Cowboys don't pay a slumping running back more money hoping that it makes him run better. The cut him. They find a new guy and if he performs well, he gets more money. That's how the real world works.
My suggestion for the "more money for schools" crowd is to come up with a solid idea that increases test scores and then ask for money to implement the program further. Good money follows good performance. Perform better and get your money. They can't say "no" to ideas that work.
Commence losing your mind bleow in the comments section.